What is Sandbox?
A copy of the production organization is known as a sandbox. Sandboxes allow you to create multiple copies of an organization in different environments.
These copies can be used for different purposes like training, development, and testing.
Sandbox helps in taking care of these tasks without compromising data present on the applications on the production organization.
Sandbox is required for almost every salesforce installation.
There are different types of sandboxes available. These types are as follows:
The developer sandbox is used for coding or testing in an isolated environment.
The sandbox has the production organization’s metadata.
You can refresh the data after every twenty-nine days.
The limit of the sandbox depends on the productions.
The developer pro sandbox is not much different from a developer sandbox.
It is also used for testing and costing in an isolated environment and it includes metadata of production org.
The difference between the two is that the storage limit if the pro is larger.
It provides more space to test the robustness and a larger amount of data.
It can also run higher quality assurance tasks. It can be refreshed once daily.
Partial Data Copy:
The partial data copy sandbox has the metadata along with a subset of the production data.
The term sandbox template is used for defining the subset data and you can use it to test or code the data from your org.
The partial data copy can be refreshed every five days.
A full sandbox is a complete copy of the production organization.
It has all the data including object records, attachments, and metadata.
The data in the full sandbox is not a live copy.
It is used for testing once the coding and development are done in a developer and developer sandbox.
It allows you to see the workflow and process like how it reacts to the data.
While creating a full sandbox you have the option of choosing how much chatter activity and field tracking you want.
Make sure that you keep in mind how extensively the company makes use of chatter because if it is used too much the feed can be too much.
Important things to know about Sandbox:
Sandboxes have limitations and here some important details you must know:
- The performance edition comes with switch licenses for 1 full and partial copy sandbox, 30 developer sandboxes, and 5 developer pro sandboxes.
- Enterprise edition has a license for a single developer sandbox.
- The unlimited edition has licenses for 5 developer pro sandboxes, 15 developer sandboxes, and 1 full sandbox.
- If you require more licenses for sandboxes then you will need to contact salesforce and put an order.
Different sandboxes offer different storage limits.
- Partial copy sandboxes have 5 GB storage limit
- Developer Pro sandboxes offer 1 GB storage limit
- Developer sandboxes come with 200 MB data storage limit
- The storage limit of full sandboxes is the same as the production organization
To get the best results it is important to understand the strengths of sandboxes and use them accordingly.
It offers flexibility to the organization and allows them to customize easily.